While I have been playing Old School Essentials lately and generally getting more into the Old School Renaissance, "new school" games are still of interest to me. In particular these include Pathfinder First Edition. I have considered writing my own fantasy roleplaying game based on Pathfinder 1e. For now I am considering more subtle changes, including a revision of the classes.
Here are some general changes to classes I am considering making. I am considering including advanced classes from d20 Modern, though I have yet to come up with any particular class ideas for it. I am likely to include the idea of universal archetypes like those included in Rogue Genius Game's Anachronistic Adventurers. I also intend to include the concept of martial maneuvers from the D&D 3e Book of the Nine Swords and the third party Path of War. However, not all martial classes will use these. Not all base classes will necessarily have twenty levels, since I consider some concepts to not fit for those levels of power. In intend to include a psychic magic as occult magic like PF 2e and also include primal magic from that edition. I am also considering including a system where multiclass spellcasters improve the spellcasting from each class they have.
First I will cover the "big four"- the cleric, fighter, rogue and wizard. The cleric will be split into two classes- the champion (not to be confused with the PF2e champion) and the minister. The champion has an average base attack bonus and up to the sixth level of spells, and the minister is a full spellcaster with poor base attack bonus. The minister has a superior version of the paladin's lay on hands ability as well. The fighter is split into the soldier and the warrior (the NPC class would need renaming, but I am also considering how to do NPC classes and may use 0th level, but that's a whole other thing). The ten level soldier is a more regimented fighter that inherits the cavalier's tactician ability and the warrior inherits the mettle ability of Anachronistic Adventure's enforcer and is capable of mighty deeds of valor. The rogue becomes the ten level burglar, which is a lot more focused, but has near or outright supernatural ability in its field. More generic elements of the rogue may be added to the expert to raise it to the level of a PC class. The wizard will lose much of its extensive repertoire of spells along with its ability to specialize with a school, which is replaced with arcane traditions. The wizard remains a jack of all trades, master of few with regards to magic, with other classes gaining mastery in other schools of magic.
Next we come to the other core classes. The barbarian will mostly be absorbed into the warrior, which will have a rage ability as an option. For the bard, much of its bardic performance abilities will become feats and the bard class will be a prestige class. The bard has the ability to progress partly in their previous classes abilities. The druid splits into two classes, the geomancer being a full primal spellcaster with limited fighting ability and the totemist with a bit of primal spellcasting and the ability to wild shape. The monk likely gets partially absorbed by the warrior, but many of its more unique features will likely be part of prestige classes. The paladin will become a prestige class. The ranger will become the hunter and at least one prestige class. This prestige class will be partly inspired by the 1e ranger and be called "Ranger of the North." There is a bit of a reshuffle regarding the sorcerer, which gets the witch's patron ability, the witch becomes an alternate class of the soricerer and the sorcerer's bloodline ability becomes part of a class called the scion.
There are other classes I am considering, but that will be all for now. Regarding my Borderlands Campaign it has stalled unfortunately. I am hoping I can reverse that, but for now it seems to be on hold.
No comments:
Post a Comment