After receiving some feedback on Reddit I have decided to scale back my goals, at least for now. I am going to consider smaller, more subtle changes before getting into big ones.
I am still considering to split the cleric into the more combative champion and the more spell-oriented invoker and minister, one being more of a blaster and the other being more of a support spellcaster and healer. The cleric is fairly broad and the champion will retain some of this broadness, but to a lesser degree, having spellcasting up to 6th level spells like the bard.
For the fighter, I am considering having the soldier and warrior concepts, but as hybrid classes between the cavalier and the barbarian respectively. I would still make some tweaks to the fighter, including giving them more skill points and altering their class skills. I am also going to bring on the enforcer's mettle ability (similar to the gunslinger's grit).
With regards to the rogue I am considering both having a more broad version, removing the roguish elements and being more of the fighter of skills, if that makes any sense, and the burglar I mentioned that focuses on the idea of being a treasure hunting thief. In general I am considering having the range of skill points going from 4 to 6, making all classes be a bit of a skill monkey and conversely having no one be THE skill monkey.
I am also still considering the idea of pairing down the wizard spell list and spinning off the specialist classes.
Some people expressed a lack of understanding of why I want to do this. Basically, Pathfinder 1e is my favorite "new school" rpg, but there are elements I think can be improved, including tweaks and revisions to the classes. I do understand that most people who play Pathfinder 1e just want to play 1e. However I am hoping that people can give me advice on doing what I hope to accomplish, including eventually creating a version of Pathfinder that while differing from 1e doesn't go as far as 2e necessarily.
No comments:
Post a Comment